Mother of 2 With Type 1 Diabetes / our crazy world

Friday, May 26, 2006

So many things to think of

Today i was talking to Ellen,Spread your wings, fly, soar, explore and enjoy the world. , about the many things that need to be thought of before sending your new pumper to school. Tay has already picked out her pump pouch, PUMPWEAR INC - Pumpwear Inc.: Fun, creative cases & accessories to hold & carr . I let her pick it out and didn't even put my 2 cents in, i want her to be excited. But that is the least of my worries. Sending her to school with this cute little pouch around her waist and having some stupid person yell at her for have a cell phone, game boy, ect ect is going to piss me off. So i came up with this idea to have her have a business card in her pump pouch that says some thing like this " This is not cellphone, gameboy, ect, ect. This an INSULIN PUMP, i need this to live. If you have an questions please walk with me to the nurses office. " Easy to carry and gives her a way out of fighting/arguing with an adult. We have all heard stories of kids that had their pumps taken away by some ignorant person that wouldn't listen to a child becuase they were a kid. This is a great idea and she will have a business card in her cute pouch at all times. Thats just 1 of a million worries that may be helped by a little planning and creativity.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:12 AM, Blogger Megan said…

    The sounds like a great idea!

    I know when I did my pump training, the trainer had to check off a box that said she asked me if I anticipated school problems (nope, I'm in college), but I know they will send pump trainers to talk to school people, and I imagine Minimed will do the same.

    If Tay's school is good with her diabetes now, I doubt you will have a problem.

    If you are doing two shots a day now, you have a lot to learn, but it will be worth it! Good luck and keep us updated.

     
  • At 10:52 AM, Blogger julia said…

    Here's what I did with O for school:
    Made up seventy-eleven copies of information about diabetes, including the symptoms of highs and lows that you can print off from the NovoNordisk (I think) website.
    Put it all in neon-coloured folders with a BIG colour picture on the front.
    Under the picture, I put her name and the fact that she has diabetes and wears a pump.
    Handed those out to every Tom, Dick and Harriet at the school.

    I want the entire school to know that she has diabetes, so nothing happens.

     
  • At 9:11 AM, Blogger Penny said…

    I don't know if this helps or not, but my mom sewed little pockets into the inside of the waistband of Riley's pants. His pump is hidden at all times, until we pull it out to bolus. Not that I'm ashamed of his D, but I get sick of all the questions and stares from others.

    If you're interested, let me know and I'll send you a picture of how it's done. You can find my email address on my profile on my blog.

     
  • At 2:29 AM, Blogger diabetes diet pre1 said…

    Refer to Diabetes for
    useful information

     

Post a Comment

<< Home