Mother of 2 With Type 1 Diabetes / our crazy world

Thursday, February 23, 2006

part 2 of this month can't end soon enough

Tays school nurse just called she is 400'ish. What to do what to do. Well i told the school nurse that she had 2 units of novolog this morning and we are just going to watch and see if it starts dropping. All this after yesterday the district nurse called up my case nurse to ask basically if i was taking care of tay the right way. Oh was I pissssssssssssssssed. This Woman had only talked to me 1 time and didn't have the brains to call me up first before going to my case nurse and Dr. My case nurse told her that we treat the child not the number, this will lead into why I am being careful with the novolog. The Dr and nurse both know me well and know that Tay and Adam are very well taken care of. Thier A1C's are not always the best but they aren't horrible either. My case nurse told me not to worry about it but i did have a chat with the school nurse. I asked her if she thought that there was anything that i was doing wrong , or if she felt uncomfortable with anything that i tell her to do.To all this she said that she was not a doctor and she would rely on my advice. She is very happy that she can always get ahold of me and that we work well together. She can see that Tay drops fast and about 2-3 in the afternoon......... i just had to run to the school ,tay was 486 , she is going higher. Tay got a unit and half of novolog and will be checking every hour from now on. Both my children are very insulin sensitive especially to novolog. They still only get 1 or 2 units of novolog at a time. Any more than that will make them drop way too fast........ thats the rest of the story for today

3 Comments:

  • At 5:45 PM, Blogger Shannon said…

    You could look on the bright side in that the nurse is a very concerned one and doesn't let things slip through the cracks.

     
  • At 8:58 AM, Blogger Ellen said…

    I signed something at the school that stated the nurse at school was not allowed to contact my son's endo's office unless every effort to contact me first was made.

     
  • At 7:50 PM, Blogger Shannon said…

    Actually, we have that stated on Brendon's 504 Plan as well.

    In fact I once overheard his endo on the phone with a school nurse asking why the hell she wasn't calling the parents first.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home